lundi 2 décembre 2013


UK MP's Launch Inquiry Into Lack of 

Prosecution for FGM

Sun, December 1, 2013

In 1985, Britain made Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) illegal. In 2003, Britain further made it illegal to have the cutting carried out abroad.

Yet, to date, no charges have ever been brought in Britain against known perpetrators of the practice or parents who take and arrange to have their daughters taken abroad to undergo cutting.

While British prosecutors say that they are “close” to bringing the first case to court in the 28 years since the law has been in place, Parliament’s powerful Home Affairs Select Committee has launched a major investigation into the scandal of the lack of prosecution for this crime.

The committee intends to call out ministers and police, as well as national health workers and school officials in a hope to eradicate the practice in Britain.

"It is astonishing that since FGM was made a crime in 1985 nobody has been prosecuted,” said committee chairman Keith Vaz.
 “This is a concern both to the diaspora communities and also the NHS (National Health Service) and it is important that light is cast on this practice and action is taken. That is why this committee is launching an inquiry into FGM. We are keen to hear from any victims and those who have been affected by this practice.”

Vaz also said that, “The committee is prepared to take evidence from anyone so that we can get to the truth. This is the first time that the Home Affairs Select Committee has done such an inquiry.”

Although there are no official statistics about how widespread the practice is in Britain, the Evening Standard reports that close to 3,500 women who were suffering from consequences of FGM had been treated in London hospitals over the last few years.
The Standard also reports that anti-FGM activists estimate that 66,000 women living in Britain have been subjected to FGM with an additional  24,000 girls up to age 11 currently at risk of being cut.


Aucun commentaire: